Partners and twin towns of Nabburg:
Twin town Castillon-la-Bataille
Castillion is about one 100 kilometres from the major pre-historic sites such as Lascaux, les Eyzies, Pech-Merle. Castillon itself shows features traces of a time long gone. Several thousands of tools from different pre-historic eras, were found in the area around Castillon and show its importance for settlement over 2000 years ago. The range of hills on both sides of the Dordogne offered convenient living conditions.
The partnership of the towns Castillon-la-Bataille and Nabburg was established on May 17th 1986.
Further information on: http://www.castillonlabataille.frSource: commemorative publication: "10 Jahre Städtepartnerschaft"
Twin town Horsovsky Tyn
In addition to many historical relations to Bohemia, the twin township connects Nabburg to the bohemian Horsovsky Tyn since 2004. The town at the river Radbusa in the south-western part of the Pilsen' district can claim many sights of an eventful history of its own. A devastating fire in 1547 triggered the rebuilding parts of the castle to a comfortable Renaissance palace. Visiting the castle and the palace, one can see the development of architectural and art history from the early Gothic age to the late Baroque age. The castle grounds, the church St. Peter und Paulus and the historic town centre, which has already been appointed as memorial, are worth visiting as well.
Every year in July, the St. Anna-festivity is well-known and attracts many people from near and far places. In recent years, there have been more and more visitors from Bavaria who celebrated together with the Bohemians.
Further information: http://www.horsovskytyn.cz
Source: leaflet "Der venezianische Kaufmann"
Twin town Oberviechtach:
Oberviechtach lies in the nature park Oberpfälzer Wald a the Bavarian “Ostmarkstraße“ (B22) near the border to the Czech Republic.
It is worth to have a look at:
The Doktor-Eisenbarth-Brunnen (=fountain) which depicts the famous travelling surgeon with a staff and a bowl (which shall signify well-being)-
All the year round, you can find a maypole at the marketplace, which has the same height as the church tower and is decorated with many figures.
The parish church St. Johannes d. Täufer is equipped with finest Roccoco.
The votive cross “Die göttliche Hilf“ (=the Divine help) is worth seeing, as well.
The museum of local history shows exhibitions about gold deposit, historical mining, models of glass art, reverse glass painting, trade, art and Doktor Eisenbarth and his history. It is possible to go on a trip to pan gold, to go on guided hiking trips through the medieval gold mining areas.
Castle ruin “Haus Murach“. The counts of Salzburg erected the castle. It was first mentioned in documents in 1110. Once a massive fortress, the keep is the part best-preserved. It offers the visitor a beautiful panorama view of the area around.
On September 20th 1952 – the town status of the previous “market of Oberviechtach“ is announced. The partnership to the town of Nabburg is sealed.
Further Information: http://www.oberviechtach.de